Thursday 24 October 2013

Thoughts on Public Speaking from an Expert


The Thinker, Image by Daniel Stockman
Why do I do it? 

I'm fine chatting on any subject to around 10-15 people but as soon as there are 50 or 60 plus pairs of eyes focusing on me, my throat just closes. It's not difficult, really, I could just avoid such a situation. But no! Something in me wants to crack this fear of public speaking.

Last week I proposed the motion for the Brighton and Hove Debating Society on the subject, "We need time to think."  I leaned a little bit on John Locke's thoughts on thinking, just to impress everyone with my erudition (hee hee) and then I mentioned some specific instances where people not thinking things through led to doom and disaster and then I put on my posh English teacher's voice and discussed the fact that we all rely on binary oppositions far too much.  


Then I got all sentimental and talked about the quality of our thinking making us into fully realised human beings with sound hearts and minds.

Before anyone threw up, I sat down, but felt quite pleased with myself.

Well, the motion was passed and some kind people complimented me on my delivery.  Phew!!! 

I might even do it again sometime.



1 comment:

  1. Great blog post. I had trouble in pubic speaking too. But I finally found the system that worked for me and my friends. I have free info about this on my site at www.expressivedegrees.com

    ReplyDelete